Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Top fall comedy premiere- Raising Hope on FOX!

Fall Comedy Premiere Reviews


ABC
Modern Family
Wednesdays at 9 PM


  

Modern Family starts out with a funny episode about the passage of time, and trying to recapture it. Phil, Gloria, and Mitchell had some funny moments in this episode. The show seems to have grown up a little bit since it began a year ago, and I have grown to like it more and more, the more I watch it. The humor never seems telegraphed or forced, even though some of the things that happen are a little extreme.



This is one of the best comedies of 2009, and it is still just as funny. The only shows that I think are funnier are The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother, which are focused on a different demographic. None of this years new comedies are as funn as Modern Family so far, though they certainly have potential.


Rating: B+



Cougar Town
Wednesdays at 9:30 PM



This first episode of season 2 guest starts the second of Courtney Cox's Friends alum. In the first season it was Lisa Kudrow, and this episode it is Jennifer Anniston, playing Jules' new therapist, Glenn. Glenn helps Jules understand why Grayson needs some time without her. Elle helps her realize that Glenn is just as crazy as the rest of them.

Laurie and Travis make a bet to see who can stay up longer, further cementing their sibling-like relationship, in one of the most entertaining moments in the episode.



Bobby has trouble with Grayson and Jules' relationship, while Grayson and Bobby further develop their uneasy friendship.


This show is entertaining from one episode to the next, without exception. It has evolved so far beyond its premise that it no longer resembles the show it first set out to be. That is one of it's strengths, as the show it set out to be be was a tired one note joke, and this show is anything but.



Rating: A-



NBC
Outsourced
Thursdays 9:30 PM



One of my friends suggested that I watch NBC's new comedy Outsourced, and I tried to like it, I really did. The thing is, I live in America, as do most of the people watching the show, and I find it relatively offensive to spend an entire 30 minutes go back and forth between making fun of Indian culture, food etc. and making fun of American culture, food, etc.



Its hard to decide what the target audience for a show like this is – I chuckled once or twice, but most of the time, making fun of the relative frivolity and freedom of American culture was annoying more than upsetting.



Only one of the characters stood out in my mind – but I honestly couldn't even tell you his name. The premise has legs, but the writing needs some tweaking, and many fewer jokes making fun of American and Indian culture. The culture clash should create the humor instead of blatantly making fun of one or the other.



Rating: C-



FOX
Raising Hope
Tuesdays at 9:00 PM



I wasn't looking forward to watching this show, because the premise didn't “grab” me. Once I started watching the show though, I was interested. Like Greg Garcia's other show, My Name is Earl, the show is grungy, realistic, and fun. It is funny, perhaps the funniest show I've seen this year. Some of the funniest characters in the first episode got minimal screen time, but I'm sure that'll change throughout the rest of the season.

Jimmy Chance had a one night stand, and the next morning we find out she's a murderer. The Chance family sends her back to prison, and 9 months later we find out the one night stand had a baby. Soon the mother is out of the picture, and Jimmy is left with a baby girl, named “Princess Beyonce” by her mother. The baby is soon renamed “Hope” and Jimmy decides to keep her, after the disagreement of his entire family, who can barely afford to take care of themselves.
Martha Plimpton plays Jimmy's mother Virginia, and she is one of the strong points of the show. Also, his grandmother is played by Cloris Leachman, and she steals every scene as the often senile old woman. I wish we could see more of her, and hope we do. The other character I hoped to see more of was the Grocery store worker, and potential love interest for Jimmy, Sabrina (Shannon Woodward), whose scenes were quirky and funny.



The show is sweet and funny, and some of the scenes with the baby make me laugh because Jimmy seems to be just as clueless about how to raise a baby as any first time parent (more so than some). Some of the comedy is a little bit exaggerated, and the sight gags are funny, especially the one with the kiss (I won't go into detail, but I squirmed).



I liked this show and thought it was cute, endearing, and funny. The cast is great, and the chemistry is there. I hope Hope is around for a long time.

Rating: A-






CBS
Mike & Molly
Mondays at 9:30 PM






Mike & Molly follows two fat people, Mike Biggs, a police officer looking to lose weight, and Molly Flynn, a fourth-grade teacher. They meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting, they make a connection, though they fail to make a date. They then meet again later, and Mike finally has the confidence to ask her out.


The show has its funny moments, and the supporting cast so far seems pretty entertaining, but there were just too many fat jokes. The show is about fat people, we get it (I mean his name is Mike Biggs, seriously?) - the show is about fat people going to Overeaters anonymous. The fat jokes should be well placed and littered infrequently thought the episode, but I thought the pilot was thin on plot with way too many fat jokes.
I'm still not sure where this show is going, I'm not sure what tension here is, since we know they'll end up together (The show IS called Mike & Molly after all) . I'll stick around because I like what I've seen of the characters and the cast, but the writing has to improve, and they have to work on their jokes.



I'll be around for another episode or two, but there better be something in those episodes to keep me around.

Rating: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment